Fire Door Inspection & Maintenance
A Fire Door is, without doubt, a life-saving part of any commercial building. Regular checks are imperative to ensure it is functioning correctly and ready for use in the same way as testing batteries in smoke alarms and having fire extinguisher pressure checked.
As with all passive fire protection, without a fire door working correctly, it simply will not do the important job of saving lives in the event of a fire. Any alterations, no matter how slight, to both the door itself or it’s surroundings, can and will affect its performance.
So, what does all this mean? It is important that:
- Periodic checks are carried out at least once every 6 months.
- Building that are newly occupied have more frequent fire door checks within the first year.
- Doors in areas where there is high traffic are likely to be at higher risk of damage so they should be checked more frequently, once per week or month, depending on usage.
The Law states the following:
- Article 17 of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (RRO/FSP) states a legal requirement to ensure that fire resisting doors and escape doors are correctly installed and maintained for them to be fit for purpose.
- This applies to all buildings other than domestic housing. The law now shifts responsibility from the fire authorities for fire safety to whoever has day-today control of the premises.
- The authorities have the power to enforce the RRO/FSO and do prosecute or even close buildings down where breaches are discovered.
Although we do not inspect and maintain, when it comes to the initial Fire Door Supply & Installation for commercial buildings, be it new projects or refurbishments, Stemko has you covered.
Our fire doors are all tested to industry standards and our installers hold the BM TRADA Q Mark, so we know you are in safe hands!
Let us help you on your next project. Speak to our team today.
firstname.lastname@example.org 020 3301 0546